The TSCPA Accounting Academy is an extraordinary four-day camp that provides students firsthand experience of the diverse fields in accounting and to learn more about what it takes to become a CPA.
During the program, students are introduced to accounting, finance, economics, leadership and management as CPAs and business leaders share their experience, provide tips for success and discuss educational opportunities. Throughout the week, students attend informational workshops, interactive discussions, corporate tours, business luncheons and a college fair for a first-hand look at the accounting profession and education options for their future. The program wraps up with a banquet for students, parents, speakers and corporate sponsors where prizes and awards are presented to attendees.
The camp is free for students to attend and is sponsored by the generous support of TSCPA members and their accounting firms. Space is limited and students must submit an online application that includes a separate recommendation section that must be completed by their teacher or the school’s guidance counselor. Students will need their teachers email address to complete their application.
About Accounting Academy
- When: July 7-10, 2013
- Where: Lipscomb University
- Deadline: all sections of the application must be submitted by May 3
- Notification: Accepted candidates will be notified by May 17
Want to download and print the flier? Click here.
To download and print the agenda, click here.
Inform your parents with this letter. Click here to download and print.
Want to receive the brochure with complete schedule? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add you to our mailing list!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What grade do I need to be in to be eligible to attend Accounting Academy?
- Can out-of-state students attend?
- Do students have to stay on campus?
- Is transportation provided during the camp?
- How much does the camp cost?
- Can I request a roommate?
- Is there a limit on the number of students who can be accepted from a particular school?
- How are attendees selected?
- I have special dietary requirements. Can the Accounting Academy accommodate that?
- Can I apply to the Accounting Academy more than once?
- Most Accounting Academy attendees are either rising college freshmen (having just completed their senior year of high school) or rising high school seniors (having just completed their junior year). However, rising high school juniors (having just completed their sophomore year) are allowed to apply. Preference is given to the older students, but we do have a few younger ones who attend every year. College students and high school students younger than rising juniors are not eligible.
- Accounting Academy participants must be students at a Tennessee high school. The Georgia and Kentucky Society of CPAs both conduct their own summer camps.
- Yes, Accounting Academy participants are expected to stay in the dorms on campus with the other attendees. Camp counselors, who are university students, provide supervision and stay with the participants at all times.
- Yes, TSCPA uses a chartered bus service to transport students during camp. Students are not permitted to drive themselves or others at any time during the duration of the camp.
- Accounting Academy is free! Attendees do send in a $25 deposit to reserve their spot, but the deposit is returned at the last session of camp.
- Yes! Once you have been notified that you have been accepted, you will send in an RSVP form. On this form is space to indicate a roommate preference.
- No, there is no limit. We frequently have multiple students from the same school who attend.
- Attendees are chosen by a subcommittee of TSCPA members. They are selected based on their academic achievements, extracurricular activities and interests, teacher or counselor recommendation and their brief essay indicating why they want to attend.
- Yes, TSCPA will make every effort to accommodate special dietary restrictions. The RSVP form has a space to mark any allergies or special requests.
- Yes! You may apply to the Accounting Academy every year that you are eligible. We have had several students participate twice, and one who even came three years in a row! Also, if you are not accepted one year, you may reapply the next year.
Past Program Summaries
To view summaries of past programs, click on the appropriate link below.
2011 TSCPA Accounting Academy
2010 TSCPA Accounting Academy
2009 TSCPA Accounting Academy
2008 TSCPA Accounting Academy
2007 TSCPA Accounting Academy