Federal Tax Update - C and S Corporations, Partnerships and LLCs (Forms 1120, 1120S and 1065)
208 | Course | Update | Scheduled
A Live Stream version of this event is available here.
With the increasing complexity and ever-changing nature of tax laws and issues, today's accountant needs a one-day update course focusing on business income tax issues. This comprehensive class will not only review the current Federal business income tax laws but will also update tax return preparers of new tax forms, changes to existing tax forms, as well as tax planning opportunities and pitfalls. This is a "must-attend" course for all tax practitioners who want to be up to speed quickly and have a successful Federal business income tax filing season.
|Number of Credits||Type of Credits|
Tax accountants in public or private practice in need of power-packed one day Federal business entity update course. This is a great course to gear up for tax season.
This session is a comprehensive review of the Federal business income tax provisions and tax forms/schedules that will affect the 2018 tax returns and 2019 tax projections with an emphasis on newly enacted tax legislation, court cases and IRS guidance. Each participant will receive a comprehensive business income tax reference manual that includes numerous practice aids, real world examples, new Federal income tax forms and schedules, as well as the Phoenix Beach Quick Reference Chart. Topics include but are not limited to:
- Detailed coverage of the business income tax provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) including but not limited to the new lower corporate income tax rates and AMT repeal; 20 percent qualified business income (QBI) deduction; changes to NOLs, business loss limitations, interest deduction, accounting method changes, fringe benefits and entertainment expenses
- Overview of the new partnership regulations on allocating recourse/nonrecourse debt, disguised sales and new centralized partnership audit regime
- Look at any changes to the Forms 1120, 1120S, 1065 and other related schedules and forms
- Recent changes to depreciation and 179 expense
- Issues related to compensation, distributions, liquidations, self employment taxes and retirement plans
Once participants have completed this session they should be able to:
- Understand the major Federal income tax laws impacting C and S corporations, partnerships, LLCs, LLPs and their owners
- Identify and comprehend any newly enacted legislation, changes and IRS guidance affecting business income tax returns
- Member (Early Bird)
- Non-Member (Early Bird)
J. Patrick Garverick, CPA, MT, CFP
Pat Garverick is a Certified Public Accountant who currently lives in the Phoenix, Arizona area. He began his career in public accounting in 1988 after obtaining his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Accounting from The Ohio State University. After receiving his Master of Taxation (MT) degree from Arizona State University in 1992, Mr. Garverick began operating his own tax and financial planning business. He also started writing, reviewing, and teaching tax and financial planning continuing professional education courses around the country.
In addition to being a CPA, Pat is also a Certified Financial Planner (CFP®). This role serves to enhance the knowledge he brings as he writes and presents continuing education material. Mr. Garverick is a member of the Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Pat has presented continuing education sessions throughout the country and has won awards for both his skills as an instructor as well as for the content he has created. His knowledge, expertise, and high energy have made him one of the profession’s most highly rated speakers. He is in a very small group of instructors that are both extremely knowledgeable and interesting.
During his time in college Pat earned a letter as a member of the Ohio State Basketball squad. He remains a stanch supporter of the sports programs at his alma mater.Back to Instructors