Federal Tax Update - C & S Corporations, Partnerships & LLCs (Forms 1120, 1120S & 1065)
235 | TSCPA In Person Events | Update | Scheduled
With the increasing complexity and ever-changing nature of tax laws and issues, today's accountant needs a one-day update course focusing on business income tax issues. This comprehensive class will not only review the current Federal business income tax laws but will also update tax return preparers of new tax forms, changes to existing tax forms, as well as tax planning opportunities and pitfalls. This is a "must-attend" course for all tax practitioners who want to be up to speed quickly and have a successful Federal business income tax filing season.
|Number of Credits||Type of Credits|
This session is a comprehensive review of the Federal business income tax provisions and tax forms/schedules that will affect the 2017 tax returns and 2018 tax projections with an emphasis on newly enacted tax legislation, court cases, and IRS guidance. Each participant will receive a comprehensive business income tax reference manual that includes numerous practice aids, real world examples, new Federal income tax forms and schedules, as well as the Phoenix Beach Quick Reference Chart. Topics include but are not limited to:
- Look at any changes to the Forms 1120, 1120S, and 1065 and other related schedules and forms
- Review the ACA taxes, penalties & credits affecting businesses including: o Market reform provisions applicable to group (i.e. 2 or more employees) health plans in order to avoid potential excise tax of $36,500/year/employee for non-compliance o The shared responsibility excise tax penalty for large employers (i.e. 50 or more employees) under IRC 4980H o Required employer and insurer reporting of health insurance coverage (i.e. information returns)
- Recent changes to depreciation and 179 expense
- Issues related to compensation, distributions, liquidations, self-employment taxes and retirement plans
Once participants have completed this session they should be able to:
- Understand the major Federal income tax laws impacting C & S corporations, partnerships, LLCs, LLPs and their owners
- Identify the Market reform provisions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and how they apply to businesses and their owners
- Recognize any new legislation and IRS guidance affecting business income tax returns
Download course material prior to event.
- Member (Early Bird)
- Non-Member (Early Bird)
J. Patrick Garverick, CPA, MT, CFP
Pat Garverick is a Certified Public Accountant who currently lives in the Phoenix, Arizona area. He began his career in public accounting in 1988 after obtaining his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Accounting from The Ohio State University. After receiving his Master of Taxation (MT) degree from Arizona State University in 1992, Mr. Garverick began operating his own tax and financial planning business. He also started writing, reviewing, and teaching tax and financial planning continuing professional education courses around the country.
In addition to being a CPA, Pat is also a Certified Financial Planner (CFP®). This role serves to enhance the knowledge he brings as he writes and presents continuing education material. Mr. Garverick is a member of the Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Pat has presented continuing education sessions throughout the country and has won awards for both his skills as an instructor as well as for the content he has created. His knowledge, expertise, and high energy have made him one of the profession’s most highly rated speakers. He is in a very small group of instructors that are both extremely knowledgeable and interesting.
During his time in college Pat earned a letter as a member of the Ohio State Basketball squad. He remains a stanch supporter of the sports programs at his alma mater.Back to Facilitators