Preparing for the Exam
What is Required for Licensure?
In order to be licensed as a CPA in Tennessee, there are three components that you must satisfy:
- Successfully pass all four parts of the CPA exam within an 18-month window.
- Successfully pass the Professional Ethics exam.
- Satisfy the experience requirement of one year of full-time employment or no fewer than 2,000 part-time hours extended over a period not less than one year and no more than three years. You can earn this experience by providing any type of services or advice using accounting, attest, management advisory, financial advisory, tax or consulting skills. The experience requirement includes employment in industry, government, academia or public practice and must be earned within the 10 years immediately preceding your application for certification.
Click here here to order the Professional Ethics Exam from TSCPA. Once you have passed the CPA exam and Professional Ethics exam, the Tennessee State Board of Accountancy will be notified and they will automatically send you a packet to apply for your CPA certificate. Please note that the experience requirement must be satisfied before you submit your application for certification.
What are the Educational Requirements for the CPA Exam?
When applying to sit for the CPA exam, a candidate must have either completed or be within 200 days of completing:
- a baccalaureate degree or higher from an institution accredited by a regional or national accrediting body recognized by the Board AND
- a minimum of 150 semester (or 225 quarter) hours at baccalaureate or higher degree granting institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting body recognized by the Board.
This total must include:
- a minimum of 30 semester hours in accounting.
- a minimum of 24 semester (or 36 quarter) hours in general business subjects such as business law, algebra, calculus, statistics, economics, finance, management, marketing, computer and information systems, ethics and business communications.
Courses taken at either a two-year or a non-accredited, four-year institution are acceptable, provided they are transferable to the four-year, degree-granting institution from which you received your degree. The credits should be added to that transcript or by correspondence from that institution stating those credits will transfer.
How do I Prepare?
Test Content and Areas of Study
The CPA exam consists of four sections:
- Auditing and Attestation (AUD) – This section covers knowledge of auditing procedures, generally accepted auditing standards and other standards related to attest engagements and the skills needed to apply that knowledge.
- Business Environment and Concepts (BEC) – This section covers knowledge of general business environment and business concepts that candidates need to know in order to understand the underlying business reasons for and accounting implications of business transactions and the skills needed to apply that knowledge.
- Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR) – This section covers knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles for business enterprises, not-for-profit organizations and governmental entities and the skills needed to apply that knowledge.
- Regulation (REG) – This section covers knowledge of federal taxation, ethics, professional and legal responsibilities and business law and the skills needed to apply that knowledge.
For more insight into the specific knowledge and skills tested on the CPA exam, see this release from the AICPA.
The exam is composed of testlets (groups of 24 or 30 multiple-choice questions) and simulations (condensed case studies). Three testlets and six or seven short simulations are included in each of these sections: Auditing and Attestation (AUD), Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR) and Regulation (REG). Business Environment and Concepts (BEC) consists of three multiple-choice testlets and three written communication tasks on BEC concepts.
The format of the CPA exam is unique, so it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the layout prior to your exam date. Tutorials and sample tests can be accessed here. If you want to know how your exam will be scored, take a look at this release from the AICPA.
Many companies offer review courses and materials for CPA exam candidates. The Tennessee Society of CPAs has partnered with these companies to offer discounts to our members: Becker, ExamMatrix, Roger CPA Review, Surgent, Wiley and Yaeger.
How Do I Take the Exam?
How to Apply
Click here for an application. Along with your notarized application, you must submit a 2” x 2” photograph, your fee payment, your official transcript and a Certificate of Enrollment (if applicable).
Application materials and fees should be submitted to:
CPA Examination Services
P.O. Box 440555
Nashville, TN 37244
Note: You should allow eight weeks from the date your application is postmarked for processing.
Scheduling a Test Appointment
After you apply for the exam and are deemed eligible, you will receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS) for each exam section you applied for. Once you receive your NTS, schedule your test appointment. Each NTS is only valid for a specific period of time, so take your exams as soon as you are prepared.
The CPA exam is given at Prometric test sites. You can schedule your test appointment 24 hours a day, seven days a week through the Prometric website.
There are four testing windows throughout the year:
- January – February
- April – May
- July – August
- October – November
The CPA exam cannot be taken during these months: March, June, September and December.
For more information about the CPA exam, please refer to the following resources.
TSCPA members receive a $300 discount on Becker CPA Review courses. In addition to flexible online and self-study course formats, Becker offers the only live review course in Tennessee for the CPA exam. Visit the Becker website at www.becker.com for live course schedules in Tennessee.
According to AICPA pass rates, Becker students who complete the course pass the CPA exam at double the rate of non-Becker students. The Big Four accounting firms have all chosen Becker to be their preferred review course provider, and they are the exclusive choice of more than 70 major colleges and universities.
Expert instruction, textbooks and simulation and final exam software all work together to provide you with exceptional understanding and confidence on exam day. To register for Becker and receive your discount, call 1-877/CPA-EXAM, and tell them you are a member of TSCPA. For more information about Becker CPA exam review courses, visit www.becker.com, or contact Amy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TSCPA members qualify for exclusive savings of up to $434 from Roger CPA Review! Receive 15% off all Courses and Products, from full service Course Packages, study tools such as Flashcards, Audio Lectures, and more! Simple, no-fee financing options available, with full course packages as low as $120 per month*. Explore all courses and products and save at www.rogerCPAreview.com/TNCPA.
Roger CPA Review is a team dedicated to helping students successfully prepare for the CPA Exam with the industry's most Efficient, Effective and Enjoyable eLearning system. With an 88% pass rate, the Roger CPA Review program includes:
• The industry’s most focused, dynamic lectures and micro-learning structured lessons for maximum retention
• Intuitive eLearning system, featuring side-by-side lectures, books, practice questions, and study tools
• Over 5,000 Multiple Choice Questions and Task-based Simulations, including AICPA-Released Questions
• CPA Exam Simulator with an unlimited amount of full-length practice exams
• Diagnostics to assess confidence level and track overall course progress
• Full student support including customizable Study Planners and access to Homework Help Center
For more information about the TSCPA discount call 877.764.4272 or contact Toni Williams at email@example.com
*Based on TSCPA discounted Select Course Package price of $1,440.75 at an APR of 10%, paid over 12 months. Does not include shipping or taxes.
Surgent CPA Review can help students prepare for the CPA Exam-either during or after their undergraduate or graduate education. Our 100% online course utilizes a state-of-the-art adaptive learning platform that shortens study time and improves retention allowing students to prepare and pass faster. Enrollment includes access to the online system and its 350+ lectures, a test bank of more than 6,000 multiple-choice questions, 250 simulations, textbooks, customized study guides, complete practice exams, and a study planner.
TSCPA student members receive a 10% discount on their full course or individual course purchase. Please visit https://www.surgentcpareview.com and enter the TSCPA discount code TNCPASK53 at checkout.
TSCPA members qualify for a 20% discount on all Wiley CPAexcel products. Visit WileyCPAexcel.com and select your course package. Apply code TSCPA at checkout to redeem your 20% TSCPA member discount. For more information, please click here.
TSCPA members automatically qualify for a $50 discount per Yaeger CPA Review CPA HomeStudy section. These review sections are available in DVD format or on a USB drive. Visit www.yaegercpareview.com for full details.
When ordering the full course, use the discount code SOCIETY to receive your TSCPA member discount. When ordering a single section, use the discount code SOCIETY1.