Knoxville Account Fest: Current Issues in Accounting and Auditing: An Annual Update
431 | Course | Update | Scheduled
Designed for accounting and attestation practitioners at all levels in both public accounting and business and industry, this course provides an overview of recent FASB and AICPA activity, including recently issued and proposed Accounting Standards Updates (ASUs); the latest on the new lease accounting standard, Topic 842; and other relevant ASUs. The course also reviews new auditing standards effective in 2021 and beyond and the latest on new standards related to SSARS engagements. The course will also discuss other important A&A practice matters you should be aware of, including an update on peer review and audit quality.
|Number of Credits||Type of Credits|
Accounting and attestation practitioners at all levels desiring to remain up to date on recent pronouncements and other standard setters' activities
Experience in accounting and attestation
- Recently issued FASB Accounting Standards Updates and PCC activity
- Leases - Topic 842
- Impairment - Topic 326
- Lessons learned from the adoption of Topic 606
- Other items on the FASB's Technical Agenda
- Recently issued SASs and other AICPA and PCAOB activity
- SSARS No. 21, Clarification and Recodification, and other recently issued SSARS
- Peer review and other audit quality issues
- Other important A&A practice matters
- Review recently issued and proposed FASB Accounting Standards Updates
- Review the FASB's new lease accounting standard Topic 842 and Topic 326 on impairments
- Come up to date with matters on the FASB's technical agenda
- Understand SSARS No. 21, Clarification and Recodification, and other recently issued or proposed SSARS
- Be familiar with new and proposed AICPA and PCAOB releases
- Utilize hands-on examples and illustrations to increase your overall understanding and application of the material
- Member (Early Bird)
- Non-Member (Early Bird)
Thomas Newell, CPA
Thomas E. Newell, Jr. (Tom) is a shareholder in the firm of Newell & Newell, P.C., which is located in Columbus, GA. Tom started the firm with his wife, Silvia Newell, CPA in 1986. Prior to that, his public accounting experience included both local firms and international firms.
Tom has performed hundreds of peer reviews and has been involved with the peer review program since 1989. Tom served on the Georgia Society (GSCPA) peer review committees from 1989 to 1993. In 1993, he was selected to be one of the technical reviewers for the Georgia Society Peer Review Program and served for nine years. During his time as technical reviewer, Tom worked with the GSCPA to move the peer review committee from in-person to online meetings. Tom has also served several years on the accounting and auditing committee at the Georgia Society.
Tom has been a presenter at conferences and CPE courses for over 30 years. He has been a frequent presenter for the Georgia Society of CPAs at the Southeastern Accounting Show, Tax Forum (A&A topics), and the Accounting Institute. Tom is also a discussion leader for various continuing education courses on A&A topics for other state societies. He has made presentations at Fortune 500 companies and several government agencies on accounting and auditing, internal controls, and cybersecurity. As a presenter, Tom has been described as a dynamic speaker who is able to take a boring topic (accounting and auditing) and make it interesting.
He was awarded the Surgent Outstanding Discussion Leader Award in 2015, 2016, and 2018, as a result of these skills. Tom was recognized in 2018 by the AICPA as an Outstanding Facilitator for his consistently high evaluations of knowledge and presentation skills. As the world of presentations has been changing, Tom has been a champion of moving to virtual presentations. He was involved in the early years of simulcasting by various state CPA societies, as well as the recording of video and audio self-study courses. Tom is now prepared for the next wave of change toward the totally virtual classroom that simulates a true live classroom experience.
Tom graduated cum laude from Georgia Southwestern College in Americus, GA in 1980.Back to Instructors